Name:
Location: Hyderabad, AP, India

Lover of art and music. Fair and just, balancing the scales always as a true Libran. Partial towards chocolates.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Being a 20 something

This weekend, I was in one of those lazy moods that Librans tend to slip into when they are excessively bored of life. I don’t mean to sound negative…But, face the fact!! my life has no spice…At 20 something, I am a complete mess…

People have a “being 30” syndrome, a middle age crisis, and an old age problem…but have you heard of any one who speaks of the ebbs and tides of being at 20 something…Ok..meet ME!!!

Having cut 20 odd birthday cakes, having blown several candles on each birthday and having accepted many a worthless gift with an artificial smile and cliché statement “O! so wonderful!! Just what I wanted.”, even when I knew that it was the last thing I had dreamt of receiving on my birthday, has not made me any happier.

Like any other youthful twentian (a word coined by moi), I dreamt to own a palatial house, drive snazzy cars, eat the best of food, have the best clothes to drape myself elegantly and expensively, have a job that pays me well or even better own a company or two, have a handsome hunk by my side…And I thought that was the life I wanted….And so day and night I lived in this utopia, not in the least doubting that life could not be a fairy tale.

At twenty years, I suddenly don’t like certain things about myself. I feel I need a change in attitude, a change in basic mind set, a change in my habitat. I could also do with a bit of touch up with my nose and chin, silky- straight hair would be fine. On the whole may be I should go in for cosmetic surgery. And my mind was playing throwball. I was never so confused in my life. One minute I want this and the other minute I would be wishing I had made the other choice. I do even stupid things like laugh and cry at the same time. I just realized that some people who I had placed in the category of close friends didn’t fit in any more. Have I changed or have they…It’s not like it’s anyones’s fault but we just don’t connect anymore. I have distanced my friends and cousins unintentionally. It’s like drawing a circle and defining a zone around me which no one can enter without my permission.

I consider myself acutely bad in making impactful first impressions. It always happens that I meet this really handsome hunk on my bad hair day. So, BANG goes the first impression…And the worst part, I get compliments for my hair on the day I fix an appointment with the beauty salon for a hair cut. Things that I buy as exquisite designer stuff go on sale the next day…I mean can life get any weirder???

To keep my head cool which was throbbing under all this pressure I decide to take a vacation. I considered a place in the lap of nature for my vacation, which would envelope me and all my troubles in it’s loving arms and cradle me like a baby. I parallelly thought of an adventurous holiday, where I could go trekking, mountain climbing, para gliding and satiate the exploratory streak in me with all the adrenaline shooting sports. Yah! 20 points for guessing the answer…I couldn’t decide where to go. I wanted to go to chill off, and be alone with my musings…You guessed it right again..Got a resounding scolding from mom saying I was not to leave the house alone…Poof!! Goes my holiday… I’m under the constant vigilance of my mom…Hey!! I know she cares for me and all that…and I know that I love her, she loves me, she-scolds-me-for-my-good kinda shit…But, mom I’m not going to get these days of my life back….I might get to do them when I’m older, maybe being a 30 something….but it’s not as much fun when you do it as a 20 something.

At 20 plus, I guess biologically some hormone is secreted in excess which drives you into a crazy frenzy…I have these fits of sulkiness which repels people away, I don’t remember myself being moody before. Infact, I always was that pleasant girl who was welcome everywhere. I doubt if I’m welcome even now.


Let’s look at my job…Okk..Let’s not look at it…It’s not even remotely what I wanted to do. All I do is sit glued to the chair all day hunting for damn bugs raised by a fat brained fellow who didn’t have enough grey matter to look into it himself…Well that was a candid description of my work. And the love of my life, is something that is beyond definition, maybe the first time I’m at loss of words. I have people around me who care, but what do I want in my partner is still hazy. But, if I delay this anymore I’ll soon be saying “I do” to some stranger who according to my mom is a suitable match for me…Sounds scary!! But, what if I don’t make the right choice…God!!! I’m confused….

I have these sudden spells of enthusiasm of working late night without blinking an eye, trying to make the most of my dull job. There are spells when I’m really active and go around doing my chores briskly and efficiently and some other times I find it comforting to lie on the couch all day and think of nothing in particular, just sit like a cow chewing cud and ruminating over my outlandish thoughts.

I know that I have written this also in a fit of passion and I will definitely wonder as to why I posted this, just immediately after putting this on my blog. So, before u can say supercalifactionlisticexpiadidotious I take your leave.

11 Comments:

Blogger Nabeel said...

hmmmm,
heart and mind speaking together.
well it happens with everyone.
cheer-up and move on.

what you seek is waiting for you all along.

10:22 AM  
Blogger jitesh said...

hmm!!I think I got a fix to your problem..I believe in one simple funda
"One does not deserve to be Happy but decide to be happy"..Sometimes one may have to make a conscious decsision towards it..
It look weird but at times try enjoying life like an external observant as if you are not part of it..somewhat similar to how a tourist enjoys his journey..Then u will see there are hilarious things happening all arround you..
Laugh at how moterists move there head when you go on road..Laugh at how stupid your fat boss looks when he scratches his tummy while reviewing your code..Laugh at how the handsome dude sitting next to you puts his little finger in his right nostril..Laugh at the 60 deg tilted city bus when struck in JAM..Laugh at the funny faces your mom makes when she scolds you..Laugh at how MR Romeo make efforts to impress you and showers complements on a bad hair day..Laugh at the spellos And if find nothing laugh at yourself!!..
Life is beautiful when seen upside down!!
La Vita Bella

10:31 AM  
Blogger megha said...

@@ff

Thnx u for all the "gyan"..I guess ur comment was almost equivalent to the size of a post...

Good thoughts and powerful lines...But, hey I'm not at the bottom of an abyss, that I find things like nose digging hilarious..It still remains disgusting!!!!

Laugh at myself, yah I'm gud at that..

Mr.Romeo trying to impress me...hmmm..will answer to that once I find one..

"Life is beautiful when seen upside down!!" Yah, that's one perspective that I missed out, I guess. Tried all the other angles..not a matter will try this last one too.

10:46 AM  
Blogger megha said...

@@nabeel

Hi there..Welcome to my blog. Yah, I will move on eventually..No one can afford to remain stuck at one fix in life. Right??

Maybe after 10 more years I'll be blogging about being a 30 something..

10:48 AM  
Blogger jitesh said...

b/w there was another stupid theory usually ppl follow.. I posted it in one of my earlier post. u may chk..But not sure it will work for u too
Theory of assumption

7:01 AM  
Blogger jitesh said...

In the terrible week I forgot to thank u for ur wonderful comment..I thought about it a lot and concluded..u'were so right, one should not try to change too much too soon..Thanks for helping me arrive at something substabtial.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Sameera said...

dudette

i dont know whatever took me so long to drop by..so sorry about that...since i promised to be regular and on time..

nice post..almost an echo of a lot of things i wanted to say about the current state of my life right now..thinkin of puttin up a post..

dint know u had this adventure streak in u and so much of it

and abt mr right or whoever he is...am i missin somethign babe ;)

keep bloggin..one of ur posts i really like and cd identify with

10:14 AM  
Blogger megha said...

@@FF
Happy to know that my words held some meaning to u and actually made sense in ur life...

Retaining ur identity as a person is the most essential thing, without which your existence is devoid of any meaning..

so hang in there..and keep blogging

12:43 AM  
Blogger megha said...

@@Sameera

Hey no probs in the delay and all..i know u work real hard at office so can understand how busy and taxing it can get...

Nice to know that u identify with my thoughts..so both of us are sailing in the same boat..Any golden words of advice u have for me??

adventurous streak..yah...I love it..But not to the extent that i wud visit swamps in the Amazon basin and play tag with pythins and crocs....Not that much of a nature freak...

Awaiting ur posts..bye

12:48 AM  
Blogger SiD said...

Typical 20 something...and Believe me ur not the only 1 around.. You have got company in many aspects - dreamng of cars... or a beautiful lady by side... or finding bugs(those damn bugs!!!) ... or a craving for adventure....
well... i guess after expressing the ambivalences of life... u wud be a bit at peace with yourself.... if u r not.. write anoher blog!!!! :)

6:50 AM  
Blogger megha said...

@@SiD
Hey!! Sid..Welcome to my blog...Nice to know that I'm not the only one with those thoughts..So, guess I'm not all that weird or maybe we all r weird!!

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home