Name:
Location: Hyderabad, AP, India

Lover of art and music. Fair and just, balancing the scales always as a true Libran. Partial towards chocolates.

Monday, June 18, 2007

Indian Idol - An unimpressive Repertoire

I guess this is my second go at television programmes that are fashioned to feed the senses of the gossip mongers with sensational tit bits. But, here I shall not speak about the futility of sensationalizing, but I choose to harp on the miserable failure of the popularly viewed “Indian Idol”.

Indian Idol 3 has already such bad reviews all round that probably my post will be scathing the wounds yet again. But, I couldn’t care less. As a viewer, I know what I would like to hear and I could be acerbic in my remarks when I don’t get my dues.

The panel of judges has undergone a complete shuffling, now including the voice of kajra re, Alisha, who has immense potential herself but is definitely unfit to be a judge. To get a compliment from her you just have to dress funky, show an attitude and sing the song in a punk style and she would go drooling and address you as “rock star”; wink an eye at her during the performance and she’ll crown you Indian Idol, just for your “alhadpan”.

Javed Akthar is the only task master in the fore. His tongue is the whip lash, which scars you forever. But, he speakth the truth and the bare truth. Hail!! Udit Narayan is the “lekin” character, who stays on the wall, dressed in the cloak of diplomacy. Sometimes, he also takes the side of the majority. Anu Malik, who is the seeker of weird voices, was missing from the show quite sometime.

Well, can’t blame the judges either, the participants are so devoid of talent and so fully inflated with ego that they bray and expect compliments and votes. As the famous saying goes: “In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed is the king”. Emon, the young Kolkatta lad is the saving grace to the entire “be suro ki toli”.

Performing an autopsy and a thorough analysis makes us think on the effectiveness of the selection process. It must be the selection that is at fault and definitely not a dearth of talent, as the contemporary TRP hoggers like Sa Re Ga Ma Pa, have amazing voices which sound like honey and which have the power to heal and soothe. Probably, in Indian Idol, external beauty weigh more that the beauty of the voice.

With the word Indian Idol, comes to my mind the terrific singers like Rahul Vaidya, Amit Sana, Abhjeet, Aditi Paul and Karunya. They had made such a profound impact on us with their powerful, yet melodious voices that they left us longing for more.

The sequels for any show or movie have never been stupendous successes. In this light I tried not to be harsh on Indian Idol, but I just couldn’t stand it when people like Suhit were included into the race.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger PM said...

Ok its comments time again.
I have seen Indian Idol season 3 sometimes, whenever I get the remote in my hands. Yes you are quite right about the Judges. I think Javed Akhtar tests people a lot and does not stand down if he gets any chance to humiliate anyone. Akhtar is good but what is his role here I really wonder. Alisha is fine, she is doing Farah Khan's role pretty well.
I dont agree that there is not much talent in those selected, look at the Chinese guy, look at the girl from Lucknow..
Anyway, this discussion is neevr ending, nice post.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think any show where people vote are bound to produce weird results..
When did democracy worked in India :)

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home