Name:
Location: Hyderabad, AP, India

Lover of art and music. Fair and just, balancing the scales always as a true Libran. Partial towards chocolates.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Dreams Inc.

After 4 years of fooling around in engineering, I got recruited into Wipro. I couldn’t fathom their funda of recruiting an Electronics Engineer into a software firm. The pay was reasonable for a fresher, so I didn’t ask any “smart” questions. Plus, there was an additional pressure - “Sachin made it to IIT, Sachin was absorbed into Microsoft”. Sachin was our family friend’s son, a benchmark for me as he was supposed to be Mr.Perfect. I would surely like to see him play badminton or sing for that matter. The thought itself makes me chuckle. In order to brace my self against the constant artillery of Sachin’s achievements, I sacrificed my love for English Literature and joined the herd of software professionals. After my interview, I came home, just to face a pregnant silence. My house was brimming with almost all the people from my colony. I could see the anxiousness on everyone’s face. I savored each moment of their anxiety and proudly announced my success. The totally still household broke into a surge of “I knew you could do it” and “I believed your abilities”; the same people who raised Sachin to a demi-God status. My mom, typical of her, ran into the puja room and whispered a thousand thanks to God. My dad just patted my back and tried to look away from me, but I caught a glimpse of his misty eyes, which were laden with immense pride. I was equally proud of myself as I had proved a point to Sachin.

My recruitment into Wipro had definitely changed a hell lot of things- some bold and visible and some really subtle and almost unnoticeable changes. Automatically my status in society seemed to have elevated. Unknown friends, acquaintances and a number of unseen relatives and well-wishers emerged out of nowhere. Everyone gave me importance and respect. In my colony, I had become the topic of discussion at the kitty parties and social gatherings my mom used to attend. I was the ideal daughter that every mother had to be blessed with and shortly was to be the goody-goody and obedient “bahu” that every mom-in-law would dream of. I also started receiving marriage proposals, which my parents very politely, but very importantly refused. My cousin who used to be bossy (despite the fact that she was young) was being very polite to me. My mom changed her vegetable shopping venue from the “subji mandi” to “Food World”. When I sat for dinner with my family, my dad addressed me regarding banks, savings, shares and stocks. We discussed the Indian economy and he asked me my opinion which concerned some household matter. He was treating me like an adult. I ran to the mirror in my room and checked if I was any different. I had not grown any horns, neither did my wisdom teeth come up; and then why were people treating me differently. Though I initially enjoyed this importance, later on it started to bother me. As now I was surrounded with appreciation and praise, I couldn’t distinguish eulogy from genuine compliments.

After joining work it was a different ball game all together. It had opened a whole new world for me-new faces, new people and a uniquely refreshing environment. Initially I had to struggle with criticism, which I was conveniently spared from in the last few months. It was a challenge to my wits, my morale and my zest. In the pursuit to prove myself to my boss and superiors, I became a rare commodity at home. Initially I decided that I wouldn’t let my interest for Literature die. Months rolled by, the clocks ticked off time that couldn’t be got back. In the battle between my dreams and my duties at work, the duties took control of the steering of my life and forced the dreams to take a back seat. Today, as I sit and reflect over the past, over a cup of coffee in the cafeteria, a thought incessantly surfaces to my mind- “Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark.” -Amiel, Journal or maybe Sachin Shasrty.....

5 Comments:

Blogger PM said...

Hi its me again
Just out of curiousity, tell me one thing first who wrote these lines?
i am surprised to see someone as interested in English Literature as i am. i praise you for your apt use of words.
frankly i am impressed.
coming back to the blog it is really the scene everywhere in India, right from our childhood days there is so much pressure.
if you ever start thinking then you will realise we have been trying to keep up with others right from the time we had no idea of the world around us.
first getting into KG(nursery)-family friends son-dau got into that bla-bla, then school, then came engineering, now in job too(onsite trips).
why arent we allowed to follow our natural instincts, i wonder what will i do to my kids, till that time i can just blog like this....

8:46 PM  
Blogger KS said...

does bagging a job carry so much baggage? just wondering, no offence.

4:19 AM  
Blogger KS said...

what? didnt enable comments for the cricket post?

4:23 AM  
Blogger Sameera said...

hey
similarities surfacing here tooo
i loooooooove english literature..both my parents were m.a english lit and to date i try to blame them for me ending up in this nonsensical software job..the problem is that u look around nd u find only us..more and more of sw engg..supression of other talents..


anyways what i dont get is why ur friends/relatives/neighbors and co
had to wait for u to get a job before they realised ur a brilliant brainy woman..

very very surprising to me..
and dont go by standards,benchmarks..half the world is better than us..the other half worse..

our individuality makes us unique :)

9:51 AM  
Blogger megha said...

@@Arjun

Well let me clarify one thing..I'm not blaming anyone for the place I am in today...If not a force from my parents, there was a constant pressure from their end, making me aware that i was the one to fulfill their dreams...So, finally it was my choice to fulfill their dreams and slaughter mine..Well in my case it is not too late..I still can pursue mine ambitions..

And about comparison that's the worst thing possible...It's always "Competition that brings out the best in you and not comparison"...Comparison, I feel breeds a growing diffidence in you...and I'm sorry to say it's a very wrong method used in the upbringing of children...

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home